Sunday, August 15, 2010

Firewarrior Madness

I got all of my original 72 Firewarriors removed from their base, and pulled up all of the old railroad ballast. In many cases the clear PVA glue had either rubberized or shrinked to where it pulled the ballast up off of the base.

Once the ballast was removed, I used a heavy hobby knife to remove the Firewarriors from their base. I did this because the first time I was basing the Firewarriors I was using alot of PVA glue to coat a base and "swished" it around in a plastic container. The result did turn out pretty well. Using the railroad ballast lasted about nine to ten years. If I wanted to push it I could have easily used super glue CE glue and glued the ballast back down to the base. But I think its time for something different.

So 210 Firewarriors are quickly on their way to being repainted. I am actually very excited of getting the Firewarriros done. The Firewarriors make up a very large part of my army and I want to make sure that they match with the other units.

Of the 210 Firewarriors, the first 72 have been removed from their base and have one side, air brush painted. I started to paint the other side and I just couldn't get the mix right with the air brush. I kept gumming up the air brush. Either I didn't thin out the paint or the paint was too thin and came out really watery. I started to run out of time so I called it a night. By the up coming weekend. I would like to have all 210 done. That will leave the the six original Devilfish, the Pathfinders, The Piranha's, and the last formation consisting of six XV-88's and 12 XV-8's.

I am still surprised of how much time the air brush is saving. Although some times it is very frustrating to use, it definitely is worth it. I think if I was using it every day or for work I would invest in the $200.00 model but I cant really justify it. I am still wondering if I should have bought a more powerful air compressor. I think that 20-30 psi might be too light. The other thing I have been thinking about is, looking for a different head for the airbrush that might allow a finer line for painting.

I would like to be done with at least the initial basing of most of the models by the end of next month. I think that is a Conservative estimate. From there I can start adding the sept marking and the offset color, in this case gray. Farsight's colors seem to be maroon and gray. With other supporting colors of light and dark blue for plasma guns, black-highlighted with gray for under workings, and for lenses, I am going to try something different. For the lenses I am going to try yellow instead of green or blue.

Many years ago in 2nd Addition 40K there was an actual Deathwing Squad of Terminators. The color (colour) scheme was skull white with bone white for highlights, red for lenses, and green for wings for the Dark Angles symbol. The overall effect was "Christmas" themed Terminators. I have seen the same recurring colors being used on different models in showcases in different combinations. I just have a hard time envisioning white XV-8's, highlighted with bleached bone, with red lenses and green highlights. That just screams wrong on many levels.

I think that this color scheme will stay much closer to what Farsight's shown in the Codex.

So once all the the army is based coated, I can start knocking out squads with gray highlights and appropriate color schemes. I need to write these down and make sure I stick to them and not get sidetracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment