Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Targetlock heads

Continued making "targetlock" heads for the rest of the Farsight Bomb/Squad/Bodyguard. This involves taking a targetlock piece, cutting it in half, and gluing it to the front of the XV-8 head. This gives the head more "depth" and makes it look alot cooler.




The first step is that you have to cut the target lock so the back part is flat. I had to eyeball the fit and position the target lock so it was in the right position infront of the head and not off to one side.

The second step is that you need two drone sprews. The conversion calls for two drone antennas. I made the mistake in removing the antennas first and then cutting off the triangular mount. Bad move. On the bottom of the antennas there is a groove that fits into to the slot that is on top of the drone body. That groove needed to be removed before being mounted onto the side of the head. The first one was the test dummy. The second attempt went more according to plan.

I was somewhat skeptical when I first saw this. But I am now a fan of this conversion. The heads look much better than the standard head. The new conversions stand out at a distance from the rest of the regular XV-8's. I think this was a good choice for an Army Commander unit.

What I didnt want was the Gundam head of 1000+ parts. If I were only doing one model, I could see doing this, however not for a full squad. The person who did the two conversions shown below not only has imagination, but has some serious skillz:
















I am looking forward to this weekend repainting this unit this weekend. First will be a light coat of primer black to let dry over night. The second will the the Mechrite Red. This will make this unit look like its a part of the army while being somewhat different.

No comments:

Post a Comment